NZ Olive Oil Recipes: Sea Salt and Rosemary Smashed Potatoes
NZ Olive Oil Sea Salt and Rosemary Smashed Potatoes
This is a super tasty and versatile olive oil recipe that goes well with just about anything. The super crispy texture and mouth-watering savoury flavours of sea salt and rosemary go especially well with roast lamb, beef and chicken. This recipe works with all sorts of potatoes, but as a general rule of thumb the higher the starch content and less waxy the potato the crispier it will get. I prefer to use small Agria potatoes when I do this recipe.
Half a palm full of fresh rosemary
Your favourite extra virgin olive oil (*check out our range here*)
1kg potatoes (skin on)
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celsius. If potatoes need washing wash under cold water but leave skin on (leaving the skin on increases the earthy flavour and helps the potato go crispy).
- Place potatoes in a pot of cold water with a pinch of salt then simmer until soft (15 to 30 min depending on size of potatoes)
- Drain off water then place the potatoes in a large baking tray, use a potato masher or the back of a spoon to smash the potatoes (you want to flatten and break up the outside of the potato, but to leave them in large chunks).
- Cover the potatoes with a generous drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, rosemary and sea salt.
- Bake the potatoes until they reach desired crispiness (25 min approx.)