NZ Olive Oil Recipes: Roast Beetroot, Goats Cheese and Rocket Salad with Caramelised Onions and Toasted Walnuts
Roast Beetroot, Goats Cheese and Rocket Salad with Caramelised Onions and Toasted Walnuts
This is a tasty and simple salad to make that will go great at a BBQ or is filling enough to be a light meal all by itself. The warm earthy beetroot, peppery rocket, creamy goat’s cheese and crunch of the walnuts create a contrast in colours, flavours, textures and temperatures that will leave you wanting more.
2 large (or 4 small) beetroot
2 brown onions
3 handfuls of rocket
1 handful of cherry tomatoes
50 grams of goat’s cheese
1 palm full of toasted walnuts
extra virgin olive oil and balsamic glaze to finish (*check out our range here*)
- Pre heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Slice onions about 1 cm thick and put in a pan on a low heat with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. It will take around 40 minutes to an hour to caramelise the onions, the key is to keep them on a low heat stirring occasionally. The lower and slower the heat, the sweeter the onions will become as the natural sugars caramelise.
- Place beetroot in a separate pot (skin on), cover with water and boil for 15 minutes to par cook.
- Remove beetroot from the pot, the skin should now peel away easily by hand. Now slice beetroot into large wedges and place in a roasting tray with oil, salt and pepper. Roast beetroot until cooked through (30-40 minutes).
- Roughly chop walnuts.
- Cover the bottom of a large platter with rocket and tomatoes and walnuts to create a bed for the hot ingredients.
- Place beetroot and caramelised onions on top of the rocket then crumble the goat’s cheese over the top.
- Finish with a generous lashing of extra virgin olive oil and balsamic glaze.