NZ Olive Oil Recipes: Crispy Skin BBQ Salmon with Grilled Asparagus
A great dish to cook during the spring when the weather is good enough to get outdoors and fire up the BBQ. Quick and easy to prepare, this healthy recipe goes great with some of the other recipes such as the sea salt and rosemary smashed potatoes, red pepper pesto or roast beetroot and rocket salad.
1 medium fillet of salmon (skin on)
1 bunch of asparagus
- Light BBQ and adjust to a medium heat.
- Check the salmon for bones, removing any you find using tweezers. Once the bones are removed cut the salmon into required number of portions. (You may be able to buy the salmon already portioned and deboned if you choose).
- Trim the bottom 3cm off the asparagus.
- Place the salmon and asparagus on plates or trays and coat with extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Place the salmon skin side down on the flat plate section of the BBQ. If you are worried about it sticking a little trick is to place some baking paper down first which will create a great non-stick surface. Cook for 4-6 minutes until the skin is crispy but not burnt, then turn over and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Cooking times will vary depending on thickness of salmon.
- Place the asparagus on the grill bars section of the BBQ above the flames and cook for 3-5 minutes until lightly charred, turning once during cooking.
- Remove salmon and asparagus from heat and finish with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice or serve with lemon wedges.