NZ Olive Oil Recipes: Aubergine, Tahini and Roast Garlic Dip
This deliciously creamy dip is always a crowd pleaser. It can either be used as a dip to go with starters/snacks at a dinner party or as a sauce on fish, meat and vegetables.
1 large or 2 small aubergine (eggplant)
2 cloves of garlic
2 sprigs of thyme
Juice from ½ lemon
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
2 tablespoons tahini
¼ cup (60ml) extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees Celsius
- Cut aubergine in half, lengthways straight through the stem. Roughly chop the thyme and thinly slice the garlic. Place the thyme and garlic onto the exposed centres of the aubergine then put the halves back together, so the herbs are ‘sandwiched’ in the middle.
- Wrap the aubergine in tin foil, then place in the oven and cook until very soft (this normally takes at least 1 hour).
- Remove roasted aubergine, garlic and thyme from the tin foil and use a spoon to scoop out the middle, being careful not to get any of the skin.
- Discard the skin and place aubergine, garlic and thyme in a blender with all remaining ingredients and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Blend until smooth.
- Adjust seasoning if required, and serve with an additional pinch of cumin and drizzle of olive oil.